Friday, February 15, 2008

Modern Medicine






Warning--- Warning--- Warning--- The pictures you'll see below are not for the faint of heart...


Ok, so as you can all see, miracles do happen and we are expecting. 3rd time is a charm right? Most of you don't know, but the last year (exactly to the date) has been a trying one for our family. February 15, 2007 I found out that the baby I was carrying had "demised" at 12 weeks and I had surgery to remove it on February 21st. Just a few months later (August 2007), our family was blessed to find out we had another one on board. The excitement was short lived when I found out it was in my tube (ectopic pregnancy).. So, I got an injection and the pregnancy was terminated. So, needless to say, the day I found out this one was on board (in December), We were cautiously excited. I am now into my second trimester and life has been trying even during this pregnancy. Some of you may know that my pregnancies are not easy. I have hyperemesis (where you throw up morn, noon, night, mid of the night, etc) and have to be on IV therapy. One day I decided to caputre some photos of what my IV looked like. So, to start the story, I was getting peripheral IV's that last about 4 days and then getting re-stuck (don't think that's a word- sorry), so my Dr. finally had the ingenious idea for me to get a Picc line. So, every week I had to get this picc line cleaned and re-dressed, talk about pain. But, it helped me get my nutrients and kept me hydrated for the past 3 months. I actually just had it removed a few weeks ago because it started getting infected. Anyway, for anyone who cares, I took some pics..

Ok, so this is an illustration of where the picc line goes once it is placed-- yep, right into the heart.


My arm right before they cleaned it.



It's getting cleaned still..
Ahhh.. it's nice and clean now. My frowny face during the cleansing-- it is not a pain free procedure.
Since the picc line was removed, I have switched to a perinatologist, who might I add is fantastic, T. Flint Porter. He has me on a strict medicinal regimen and hopefully we are on the road to recovery.
Can I tell you how much it sucks to have food aversion? All that I know and love sounds terrible. Food Network, Food and food. It sucks. But, the sacrifice of motherhood right??

10 comments:

Crystal said...

Congratulations Jen!! I hope that all continues to go well and that you have an easier time soon. Good luck with that!!

Dezaree said...

Jen....I am so sorry about all the struggles that you have had to go through. That can't be easy. One of my friends is going through a similar thing right now and I feel so bad for her. We'll be praying for you!

Kim said...

I love you Jenn!! Hang in there..it's going to be sooo worth it. Can't wait to see you next week.

Sara said...

I am so happy for you!!! I know exactly how it feels to loose 2 pregnancies and I am glad this one is going well (if you can say that). You guys deserve this with all you have been through. We need to have a GNO.

pam said...

JENN! I'm so happy that you are prego again! Just sorry that you have to go through so much. That is not cool. But, having a baby IS cool, right?!!! You're amazing! We'll keep you guys in our prayers. Love you!

Spencer family said...

So excited for you! Can't wait to hear if it's a boy or a girl!!! You're amazing!!!

Heather said...

Congrats to the Tukuafus! What an exciting year ahead for you all!

Natalie J said...

I am so sorry that you have to endure all of this. Doesn't look like fun. Hope to see you again soon!

Jenn said...

I'm so excited for you guys! I should never complain about how yucky I feel, because it is NOTHING compared to what you go through! Hang in there!

Jessica Jo said...

Oh Jenn, that does not look pretty, you've been through so much! at least it will be worth it! This baby better be an angel :) I'm so excited for you and can't wait to find out what you are having! I hope you start to feel better soon. Love you!